[Sigiii-l] [Fwd: [GKD] DG Launches Arabic Language Portal on Development]

Michel J. Menou Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr
Fri Nov 18 15:05:08 EST 2005

Anothe "annouceable" of interest

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[GKD] DG Launches Arabic Language Portal on Development
Date: 	Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:57:19 -0500
From: 	Allison Scuriatti <press at developmentgateway.org>
To: 	gkd at milhouse.edc.org

Bibliotheca Alexandrina and Development Gateway Launch Arabic Language
Portal on Development

Tunis, Tunisia, November 17, 2005 - Bibliotheca Alexandrina (BA) and the
Development Gateway Foundation today unveiled plans for a new Arabic
language web portal on development. The portal, a preview of which was
presented at the World Summit on the Information Society, aims to
address the existing shortage of development information for the Arab
World.

BA will create the Arabic portal within the Development Gateway's global
portal on development, by translating and augmenting the Development
Gateway's collection of information resources relevant to the region.
The Library will also launch an online community of practice that will
exchange information and connect with peers to address social, economic,
political and cultural reform in the Arab World. This broad array of
targeted information resources and services will be accessible through
an Arabic language home page and translated navigational tools.

BA is leading the new initiative as part of its mandate to produce and
disseminate knowledge and advance understanding between cultures and
peoples. The Development Gateway is coordinating and hosting the new
initiative on its global website, where an extensive network of
dgCommunities partners and members currently exchanges information and
collaborates on some 30 development issues.

"We are working to fulfill the strong regional demand for information on
development," said Bibliotheca Alexandrina Director Ismail Serageldin.
"And as we build this online community, we can ensure that reform is
more widely addressed from within the Arab World - at the same time that
we show how reform is being handled in other regions."

Alan J. Rossi, Chief Executive Officer of the Development Gateway,
added, "We are proud to work with the Bibliotheca Alexandrina. By
hosting an Arabic language gateway, we can help build strong connections
between our current audience of development professionals and the
network the Library is creating."

_________________________
About the Bibliotheca Alexandrina

Egypt's Bibliotheca Alexandrina (BA), the new Library of Alexandria, was
inaugurated in 2002 to recapture the spirit of the ancient Library of
Alexandria, a center of world learning from 300 BC to 400 AD. The new
Library and its affiliated research centers are devoted to using the
newest technology to preserve the past and to promote access to the
products of the human intellect. It is committed to work with partners
all over the world, and is a center for intercultural dialogue, learning
and understanding. For more information visit http://www.bibalex.org.

About the Development Gateway Foundation

The Development Gateway Foundation puts the Internet to work for
developing countries, helping improve lives by enabling more effective
development worldwide. Bringing hundreds of partners together with
information-sharing tools, services and related grants, the foundation
acts as a catalyst, enhancing aid effectiveness, improving government
efficiency and building local enterprise. The Development Gateway is a
public foundation based in Washington, DC, with activities in 60
countries. For more information visit www.developmentgateway.org

Contacts

Noha Khalil
Head of Training Unit, Bibliotheca Alexandrina
+20.12.775.3864
noha.khaili at bibalex.org