[Sigiii-l] Plaza

Stan Skrzeszewski asmstan at attcanada.ca
Fri Sep 19 10:04:24 EDT 2003

How does the globalization of the information age affect me?

As a writer on global issues I collect wit and wisdom on this topic and since there is so much information the first challenge is to clear my mind of all the theory, hype and stuff on this topic and ask myself as I sit in my office this morning what difference does it REALLY make to me.

First, global issues have become my issues whether they are or not. For example, the first topic this morning in my house was Hurricane Isabel. Because of instant global communication, issues such as 'Isabel" become exaggerated out of all proportion. The Weather Channel has to fill 24 hours a day. So whereas, in reality where I live we are having a bit of rain, it became a 'global' topic of conversation for several days, although it was quite irrelevant. This can be also be said of many CNN generated issues and events.

Second, I will be spending a great deal of my day and at my computer and the Internet /Web today.  For the past 15 years IT has been a major part of my working life. I get messages from around the world although many of these messages are spam. Already today, I received messages from a cell-phone vendor in Korea, and a son of a dictator in Africa. I also received messages from my brother in Kuwait and a friend in Denmark. I also checked a web site of a hotel in the Dominican Republic for which I have a proposal. Obviously globalization has extended my personal day to day reach considerably.

Third, the globalization of information age has enabled me to become a global writer. For example, I have documents on several sites as the examples below indicate - one in the UK, one in the USA and one in Australia, although the Web makes them all global. So I guess that now I am now a universally ignored writer.

Stan Skrzeszewski

 "E-Republics - A Model for Global, Open-System Governance," The Commonwealth Centre for Electronic Governance http://www.electronicgov.net/pubs/research_papers/index.shtml

"Global Republics: A Meta-Model for Global Governance" World Future Society- Global Strategies Forum, November 2002. http://www.wfs.org/gsforum.htm

"Imagining Global Republics - New Political Structures for a Global Multiculturalism". Open Road, March 2002.
http://www.openroad.net.au/mcl/papers/sskrzeszewski/global_republics.pdf

Stan Skrzeszewski
ASM Advanced Strategic Management Consultants
411 Rippleton Place
London, Ontario N6G 1L4
Tel: 519-473-7651
Fax: 519-471-6497