[Sigiii-l] Management sessions for 2003 ASIST conference

bedgar at email.arizona.edu bedgar at email.arizona.edu
Fri Oct 10 16:14:33 EDT 2003

Hello,

This is to let everyone know of the SIG Management sponsored and co-sponsored
sessions at the upcoming American Society for Information Science and
Technology annual conference. Please come!

1. Monday, October 20, 2003 at 10:30 a.m. Management and Information Studies:
Exploring the Connections. Sponsored by SIG MGT.

We will have four speakers and a group discussion with the audience. This
session is intended to stimulate discussion and encourage membership in SIG
MGT.

? Bill Edgar, of the University of Arizona, will present a paper focusing on
organizational-level issues, examining the descriptions of organizational
structure as well as various metaphors for organizations used in the management
and LIS literature. The paper will also examine how organizational structure
and organizations' similarities to other phenomena (such as machines or
organisms) provide guidance in developing theory describing organizational
interaction with certain elements of information service.

? Julie Hersberger, of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, will
present a paper that examines emergent organizational behavior issues at the
individual and group levels as rapid change affects perceptions, attitudes, and
behaviors of information managers. New managerial competencies are
concomitantly emerging for the efficient and effective direction of evolving
information organizations as they move from single loop to double loop or
generative learning institutions.

? Anu MacIntosh-Murray, of the University of Toronto, will present a paper
focusing on culture as an example of the way information studies and
organizational theory can each inform the other in our research. Culture,
whether information or organization, can draw on theories from both
disciplines.

? Maureen Mackenzie, of Dowling College, will present a paper that suggests a
metaphor for manager decision-making and how managers interact with on-the-job
information. The paper will compare the systematic to the intuitive approach
and suggest a theoretical model that illustrates both approaches.

2. Tuesday October 21, 2003, at 10:30 a.m. New Information Models for Rural
Populations in Developing Countries. Co-sponsored with SIG-III.

This session will address the widespread belief in the developing world that the
global explosion of knowledge may ameliorate the socioeconomic conditions of
the rural populace. It will do so by exploring some key information models that
seem to be working in developing countries to remove illiteracy, and to enhance
information literacy of the poor. Please see the full session abstract at the
following:

http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM03/abstracts/Tues-1030-2.html

3. Tuesday, October 21, 2003, at 2:00 p.m. Maturity Models and Benchmarks in
Knowledge Management. Co-sponsored with SIG KM.

How does an organization assess its progress with knowledge management? How can
we set directions for growth in our KM programs? How can we communicate within
our own organizations and to our own management about our goals? Benchmarks
provide an important measuring stick for this type of evaluation. This session
will consider the state of maturity models and benchmarks in the knowledge
management space. Please see the full session abstract at the following:

http://www.asis.org/Conferences/AM03/abstracts/Tue-2-4.html

Governance and social events

? Sunday, October 19 at 6:00 PM : Welcome reception and SIG rush. Visit the
SIG MGT table at SIG rush and encourage others to join the MGT SIG.

? Tuesday, October 21 at 7:30 a.m. SIG MGT Planning Session (Breakfast
meeting). This is the planning/working meeting for our SIG, so please attend if
at all possible.

? Tuesday, October 21 at 6:30 PM : SIG MGT dutch treat dinner

? Wednesday, October 22 at 12:30 : SIG planning meeting (all SIGs). Please
contact Bill Edgar beforehand with your ideas and suggestions for
papers/sessions for 2004.

This looks like a great set of activities, and I hope that many of you will be
there to keep management a vital topic.

Regards,

Bill Edgar
The University of Arizona