[Sigiii-l] [Plaza] Linking Local Knowledge and Global Science in Multi-Scale Assessments

Michel J. Menou Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr
Tue Oct 22 12:25:19 EDT 2002

Hum, really a good day. Again from scidevnet conference announcement,
a very interesting topic.
I feel the theoretical and methodological challenges mentioned in the
call are indeed worth the attention of "globalized information
professionals".

Best regards,

Michel                          mailto:Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr

Title Bridging Scales and Epistemologies: Linking Local Knowledge and
Global Science in Multi-Scale Assessments
Dates June 23 - 26
Type Conference
Location Kunming, China
Organiser(s) The Chinese Academy of Sciences & The Millennium
Ecosystem Assessment

Description Global environmental change is increasingly understood to
have causes and effects that span multiple scales, from the local to
the global. Yet, until recently, international scientific assessments
have typically focused more on global phenomena than on either
sub-global processes or cross-scale interactions. In addition,
scientific assessments are based on a particular Western epistemology
(way of knowing), one that often excludes local knowledges, ignores
cultural values, and disregards the needs of local communities.
Scientists and policy-makers alike have become aware that there is a
need to establish new assessment processes that are robust enough to
accommodate and value these different “ways of knowing” and the
multi-scale and multi-stakeholder nature of environmental concerns.

To address this need, the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (MA) is
designed as a multi-scale effort, one that pays particular attention
to sub-global processes and interactions. Actually doing a multi-scale
assessment, however, raises major theoretical and methodological
challenges.
How can we synthesise and present information that is collected at
different scales, from different communities or regions, and from
different knowledge traditions?
How do we study and understand the complexity of cross-scale
interactions?
How do we ensure that the intended users of the assessment feel
sufficient ownership and trust in the process that they are willing to
act on the findings?

This conference will provide a unique opportunity to bring together
individuals involved in the MA with academic scholars and indigenous
peoples (and others with local knowledge) to explore these issues in
both their theoretical and applied contexts. By facilitating this
dialogue, the conference will make a significant contribution to the
work of the MA and to the existing literature in these areas.
Registration US$200
Contact Carolina Katz Reid, Conference Organiser
Phone +60 4 626 1606
E-mail conference at millenniumassessment.org
Information Deadline for submission of proposals is 20 December 2002.
The official language of the conference will be English. The MA is
able to provide limited support for travel and conference registration
costs to ensure the broad involvement of participants from around the
world.