[Sigifp-l] University or department statements about Charlottesville/ racism/ current climate

Oltmann, Shannon shannon.oltmann at uky.edu
Wed Sep 6 13:40:04 EDT 2017

Hello colleagues. I'm collecting a few examples of statements from departments, colleges, universities, etc., that address the current climate (in regards to racism/ Charlottesville/ etc.). I'd love to have links to any statements that you can point me toward (especially at the department/school level). Here's an example of what I'm looking for:

Members of the University of Kentucky Community:

You are a full shareholder in our University of Kentucky; and I am grateful you are here.

Ours is a community of belonging for every race, ethnicity, religion, and identity. Everyone will be respected and be made to feel safe.

In that spirit, we choose compassion over hate; understanding over division; knowledge over ignorance; and hope over fear. And we choose to remain unified in the face of any effort to turn us against one another.

Being a full shareholder in our community requires that each of us have the courage to give voice to our values. It also requires of us the strength to shoulder the mantle of mutual respect and protection. We have invested aggressively in the infrastructure of safety. But a community of belonging also requires that we be each other's keepers, sharing among us the essential work of maintaining a secure and supportive environment where all of us are free to learn and grow, lifted by hope and unburdened by fear.

The dawn of this new semester brings with it the power of possibility. In this space, our students and their teachers can explore the power of ideas; our researchers can harness the power of discovery; our health care providers can facilitate the power of healing; and all of us can improve lives through the power of service.

Ours is a community that embraces our common humanity and cares equally for all who call this special place home - through the remarkable power of "we."

-Shannon

Dr. Shannon M. Oltmann
Assistant Professor
School of Information Science