[Sigifp-l] Final Call, ASIS&T '17, SIG IEP Workshop Call for Participation // Sent on Behalf of Shannon Oltmann

A.J. Million ajmillion at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 12:57:21 EDT 2017

Greetings, colleagues!

As you prepare for the ASIST Annual Meeting, please consider joining us at
a half-day workshop on Saturday, 10/28 (held in the Lincoln Room): The New
Information State: How Information Ethics and Policy Affects Everyone. The
abstract is pasted below. Please note that renowned scholar Sandra Braman
will join us and give the opening keynote for the workshop; see attachment
for full schedule. We will have paper and panel presentations, including a
panel of policy experts.

This workshop is designed not only for information ethics and policy
scholars and students, but for anyone with an interest in these areas. In
particular, we will discuss how to incorporate information ethics and
policy into an array of research and teaching areas.

Workshop participants are encouraged to bring related pedagogical
materials—syllabi, assignments, case studies, and so on. We will share
these in the workshop setting and discuss how to improve our teaching of
information ethics and policy (whether as a stand-along course or
incorporated with other topics).

*Abstract:*

In today’s milieu of fake news, misinformation, and generalized distrust of
institutions, information ethics and policy affects everyone, across
different information science research areas. In this workshop, we will
analyze these changes to the informational state and discuss how we can
address them through *three themes: information ethics and policy across
information science, engagement with policymakers, and pedagogy for
information ethics and policy.* Workshop participants are encouraged to
participate in a variety of ways and will leave the workshop with tangible
products that can be used in research and teaching.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions: shannon.oltmann at uky.edu

- Shannon Oltmann

Chair, SIG-Information Ethics & Policy

--