No subject

Tue Dec 6 21:10:36 EST 2011

Jodi - this may be fundamental, but the best thing to do is to start
with user task scenarios, figure out what they need to do (or the
information they need) most often, and give that to them right up front.
Actually, it tends to be poorly designed Windows apps that start with a
blank screen, because nobody took the time up front to figure out what the
users needed to do the most...

For example, in a customer service application - are they mostly
responding to phone calls where they need to first search for an
account?  Then the search form should be right on the front (and
probably should be part of persistent navigation).

In a recent web app that I did, the users handle 200-300 insurance cases at
a time.  Part of their system is a 'to do list' for each case, that reminds
them when they need to take a look at it.  I always have a
"quick search" in the persistent nav.  On their home page, they have
links to the most recent cases they have accessed, and their "hottest"
to do list items.  They can go directly to a case, do maintenance based
on side links, or see a full list of "to do" items.

If you can, try to observe them working, and see how they begin their
day - what kinds of work they do first.  That can provide some great
clues as to what could go on the home page.

Good luck!

Caryn