No subject

Tue Dec 6 21:10:36 EST 2011

However, the fact that experiences are open to intrepetation doesn't
negate that the fact that the author/designer may have had an intent (as
well as unconscious influences). Despite French PoMos, Twain's line about
the difference between "lightning" and "lightning bug" still holds.

Nor does it negate the fact that the "object" itself may have
characteristics that can be independently assessed -- i.e. a 60% of a
painting is red, the word "zamboni" is used 57 times -- although these are
generally uninteresting observations.

But I'm sure we all learned that back in Lit Crit 101....