[Sigia-l] Anyone suggest a better global list?

darin sullivan darinqsullivan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 15:40:56 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Marianne Sweeny <msweeny at speakeasy.net>wrote:

And what a delight to see a vibrant discussion on this list after such a
> long time of single mail digests that usually contained someone
> out-of-office notice.

Here, here! :)

> Todd, I could not disagree more about IA being taken over by designers and
> hope that we are able to head that off at the pass very soon. Information
> Architecture is a very specific skill set that is acquired through a
> focused
> education, experience and, in the best of all worlds, both.

Indeed. I think that it's helpful to consider that information architecture
is (at least the information structure part) a branch of Library Science. It
has ben my experience that there are few individuals who
are sufficiently right/left brained to excel in both fields of design
(graphic, UX, etc.) and IA...

> I think that part of the online experience is important enough to warrant
> such
> attention.

It has been my observation that dedicated IAs are standard in larger
organizations. Their input is sought by those in other departments of course
and they certainly express opinions about design, but their focus is largely
the vernacular of an intended audience in a given context.

Happy New year, and cheers!  :)