[Sigia-l] Automated Online Card Sorting Tools?

Sabharwal, Arjun Arjun.Sabharwal at utoledo.edu
Sat Feb 7 09:48:21 EST 2009

Greetings!

I agree with Andrew: a manual card sort works best.  It will produce results most suited to your organization because this process is typically intersubjective and interdisciplinary, as it engages people with perspectives and specializations that make your organization unique.

Here is an article I read some time ago.  I think, this approach can be adopted for a variety of organizations:

Duncan, J., and Holliday, W. (2008, July). The role of information Architecture in designing a third-generation library Web site. College & Research Libraries, 69 (4), 301-316.

http://ftrf.org/ala/mgrps/divs/acrl/publications/crljournal/2008/jul/crljuly08ab.cfm (click on the PDF link to read the article)

And there is also this:

What's in a Name? Using Card Sorting to Evaluate Branding in an Academic Library's Web Site
Peter Hepburn and Krystal M. Lewis

http://ftrf.org/ala/mgrps/divs/acrl/publications/crljournal/2008/may/May08.cfm (PDF also available)

Regards,

-- Arjun

Arjun Sabharwal
Digital Initiatives Librarian/Assistant Professor
Carlson Library Mail Stop #509
University of Toledo
Toledo, Ohio 43606-3390
419.530.2321/530.4497