[Sigia-l] Can you recommend site mapping program?; also look for words of wisdom

Ray Sharma ray at raymondo.net
Thu Feb 5 18:01:42 EST 2009

My first question is does anybody know what other software I can use
> to get a reliable page count and site map other than PowerMapper?

>>My second question is to ask for tips on how to proceed from those of you
that have done such a big task

Couple of things to consider include whether your site is database driven or
static (probably one of the reasons powermapper is not working too well
(although the visuals are cool). Two tools have saved my life in the past:

>>> Teleport Pro http://www.tenmax.com/teleport/pro/home.htm will dump the
whole site down locally and turn data driven and asp pages for example into
a hierarchy you can navigate locally - you should be able to then run
PowerMapper with better results.

>>> Xtreme site expert http://www.xtreeme.com/sitexpert/  is a bit like
PowerMapper without the visual presentation (it's used for creating
navigation links and site maps) and very good. The real value with this tool
is it  can create an XML schema or static hierarchy for the next steps
below:

The trick with whatever tool you choose, is one that allows you to generate
a detailed sitemap that can be copy/pasted or imported into MS Excel or
similar. Once you can do this you can start performing a content audit -
identifying owners, decommissioning content etc.

Excel is great and highly functional - will tell you what you need to know
in the least amount of space, can be categorized, etc etc. Critically it can
be updated and modified by others - departments etc, to review what content
they have easily.