[Sigia-l] Google's new home page

Jayson Elliot jayson.elliot at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 20:15:50 EST 2009

I think it's important to keep in mind the segmentation of users we're
looking at.

Of the total number of search results generated by Google, a significant
portion are initiated somewhere other than Google.com - those include
browser toolbars, the countless Google search boxes embedded in other web
sites, and the affiliate pages such as the Mozilla Firefox Start Page (
http://www.google.com/firefox), the Dell Start Page (
http://www.google.com/ig/dell), Gateway (http://www.google.com/ig/gateway),
and of course, the address bar of Google's own Chrome browser.

I would suggest that the fact that users are searching directly from
Google.com and not from a search toolbar demonstrates generally (though not
automatically) a lower "expertise" or level of "power user" with the web
overall.

These users may, in fact, find it easier to be faced with only one action
that can be performed on Google.com. If the user simply begins typing and
does not move their mouse into the browser, they will not see any
distracting links.

If they do move their mouse, the links appear as a result of a user action,
which is less confusing than if they were to appear on their own, as they
were a few weeks (months?) ago when Google began slowly rolling out this
homepage design.

The prime reason that I don't see a problem with the "distraction" of the
extra links appearing is that the typical mouse path a user will travel from
address bar to Google search bar has no links in its way, meaning there is a
minimal chance of accidental clicks or cognitive interrupts.

If you think of Google as an application, rather than a web site (which is
becoming a rather academic distinction as time goes on), it makes perfect
sense for it to have only a single option on its home page.

If anything, it's a wonderful middle finger to Microsoft's Bing, with their
"more is more" philosophy of home pages.