[Sigia-l] Sources for Requirements Definition

Jonathan Baker-Bates jonathan at bakerbates.com
Fri Jun 27 18:12:10 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 15:09 -0700, martin.fietkiewicz at gmail.com wrote:
> our PMs always push for Big Requirements Up Front, but our team of BAs/SAs
> leans heavily towards these:
> http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/agileRequirements.htm
>

>From TFA:

"The urge to write requirements documentation should be transformed into
an urge to instead collaborate closely with your stakeholders and then
create working software based on what they tell you."

It may be worth saying that this doesn't work in an agency/client or
consultative environment. In that situation, most clients (even if they
tell you they like, grok the agile thing) will feel the urge to give you
the finger until you tell them what they're going to get - and how much
it will cost them.

Props be to them who persevere with the agile approach though, because
in an ideal world we'd be nuts to do it in any other way.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in discussions around agile UX
methods, may I recommend Jeff Patton's agile-usability at yahoogroups.com?
Chock full of wonderful - and sometimes wonderfully loopy - discussions.

Jonathan

PS: I wish London's weather would decide what's it's going to do this
summer - the forecasts are all out of whack as well.