[Sigia-l] Software's Dirty Little Secrete

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 21 23:52:54 EDT 2008

Andrew Boyd:

> it is a perennial call - "if everyone did it my way, then nobody would get
> hurt".

Spot on. As the father of Rational Rose and of the UML persuasion, he'd say
that. :-)

Both from IBM and later this fall from Microsoft with the Oslo initiative
(successor to BizTalk and WF) we'll be hearing a lot about writing
applications by "modeling," as opposed to procedural code. Each of the
purveyors will have their own take and products to sell.

A lot of this will be hype. But part of it will be extremely relevant and
useful. The Business Process Management industry had this for over a decade
and it's extremely liberating. Yes, a lot of good things happen when you
abstract logical branching out of the procedural code, so that it is both
executable and infinitely editable in real-time. The "architecture" is the
logic flow which can increasingly be composed and orchestrated by
non-programmers, which is where the good news comes for a lot of the people
here. This will be played out in the public in the next 18-24 months.

It depends.
If it didn't, you'd be out of a job.