[Sigia-l] Software's Dirty Little Secrete

Andrew Boyd facibus at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 23:23:26 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Skot Nelson <skot at penguinstorm.com> wrote:

> I thought this article in Scientific American might be of interest to
> the list:
> http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=softwares-dirty-little-secret

Skot,

it is a perennial call - "if everyone did it my way, then nobody would get
hurt". It is at once perfectly true and totally unhelpful - because there
are so many people wanting everyone to do it their way. There is a lot of
shocking code written (and that is the perfectly true comment from GB) yet
there will never be a set of tablets brought down from a mountain somewhere
that all coders obey. Never ever. Because it is unenforceable and possibly
even undesirable - we could end up killing off the next great advance in
computer science by stifling TIMTOWTDI.

Still, wouldn't it be good if there were no more bugs? :)

Cheers, Andrew
--
---
Andrew Boyd