[Sigia-l] Tag separators in text fields - standardise please

Paola Kathuria paola at limov.com
Wed Jul 30 17:48:40 EDT 2008

martin.fietkiewicz at gmail.com wrote:
> Even periods are better separators than spaces imho.

If, for example, 80% of the tags on Flickr are single word,
why should I be forced to separate with a comma for the
unlikely event that I might want to tag with a phrase?

When you touch-type, do you know where the comma key is or
do you have to look down at the keyboard?

When tags are mostly single words (which is my premise),
having to add commas is an unnecessary requirement. I find
it a hassle and am surprised that no one else does.

*tappity tap*

I just analysed my Flickr tags and, guess what, 79% of
my tags added to my photos are single words.

I used 465 single-word tags 3,640 times and 135 multi-word
tags 965 times.

   http://flickr.com/photos/paolability/alltags/

Hypothetically, if 80% was the average for single-word tags,
would you really still argue for commas as separators when
people enter a series of tags on a web site?

Paola
--
http://www.paolability.com/