[Sigia-l] Pink, revisited

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 13 13:52:38 EDT 2007

Brett Taylor:

> The reality of this pink issue has to do with how we raise our children.

Does it? I don't know the ethnographic literature on this, but I traveled
quite a bit and, pretty much universally, pink was not associated with
boys/men. The significance of pink seems to be far, far more important than
blue for boys/men. We've eradicated cross-gender bias in so many areas of
our lives in the last few decades, why not pink? Leading many to explore if
pink is innately, biologically pre-wired in our brains. Which is also why I
wondered if the hormonal change in pregnant women, for instance, would alter
their proclivity towards pink in any way. Nature or nurture?

Does anyone know of *any* culture that reverses the pink/blue polarity, or
has bias for only one color, or has none at all?

It depends.
If it didn't, you'd be out of a job.