[Sigia-l] NY Times: Navigation Help for Surfacing Subway Riders

Ruth Kaufman ruth.kaufman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 08:40:31 EDT 2007

> Do you get these kinds of signs at the exits?
>   http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeserieys/190706803/
Are you asking whether we have them in NYC? Not to my knowledge,
except for an elaborate sign at Columbus Circle that shows the
relationship of the full underground station to the above terrain. I
just can't remember where that sign is -- can't even remember if it's
above or below ground. There's a lot of construction in Columbus
Circle right now.

> And, if not, do you think they would help?
Sure. It's the same principle as the decals. The only trouble is they
look very permanent, and the streetscapes in NYC sometimes change.

I think I'd prefer the decals to these signs, though. They follow more
of a "just in time" philosophy -- provide just enough information,
exactly when it's needed and not sooner.