[Sigia-l] web site design vs RSS

Paola Kathuria paola at limov.com
Thu Oct 18 22:09:07 EDT 2007

Skot Nelson wrote:
> Paola Kathuria wrote:
>
>> she should have a second, custom RSS feed with short text entries.
>
> Recognizing the slippery slope of "Tool A is meant for Purpose B"  it's
> always been my opinion that this is the best application of an RSS feed.

Photos from one's Flickr contacts are not short text entries
but RSS is still an excellent way of staying up-to-date with
Flickr activity.

I also use it for eBay searches, Upcoming event notifications
and currency exchange rates.

An RSS feed is just a list of a linked title + (HTML) content.
It has a lot of applications, many more than short text entries.

> Almost as much as people who put stupid Twitter feeds into their
> primary blog, rendering it into nothing more than an inane collection
> of trivial data that might, at best, be of interest to a small circle
> of people.

Eek. I haven't seen tweets in blogs (but people do import them
into Facebook).

That said, one of my most enjoyable RSS reads is Wil Wheaton's
Twitter feed (wilw); I don't write to Twitter but I watch some
people whose Twitters arrive by RSS. Lovely.

Paola
--
http://www.paolability.com/