[Sigia-l] GUI elements

W Evans wkevans4 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 07:01:47 EDT 2007

I'm going to give you a couple of the best links out there - for there are
great resources in books - so I will give those to you as well. You
shouldn't limit yourself to only knowledge available on the web.

Apple Human Interface Guidelines is a good place to start:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/index.html

But even better is to not think of the problem as "how do I use a checkbox
and when," but from a design patterns perspective. What user goal/intent are
you trying to solve - so here are some design pattern resources:
Designing Interfaces: http://designinginterfaces.com/
This is Jen Tidwell's site to support her most excellent book on interface
design patterns. Alot of good work on the site - but the book is better.

The following is a brief selection of web sites that collect and categorize
UI design patterns

   - Widgetopia <http://www.widgetopia.net/> (Wodtke)
   - Patterns in Interaction Design <http://www.welie.com/> (Welie)
   - UI Patterns and
Techniques<http://time-tripper.com/uipatterns/index.php>(Tidwell)
   - Interaction Design
Patterns<http://www.visi.com/%7Esnowfall/InteractionPatterns.html>(Erickson)
   - User Interface Design
Patterns<http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/salaakso/patterns/>(Laasko)
   - Web Design Practices <http://www.webdesignpractices.com/> (Adkisson)
   - GUI Bloopers<http://web-bloopers.com/gui-bloopers/more_bloopers.php>(Johnson)
   - GUIdebook: Graphical User Interface
gallery<http://www.aci.com.pl/mwichary/GUIdebook>(Wichary)
   - the Diemen Repository of Interaction Design
Patterns<http://www.visiblearea.com/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Patterns/Home_>
   - 300 Images From 1800 Sites <http://www.intersmash.com/300images/>(London)

--
~ will