[Sigia-l] New (beta) IxDA Site

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Tue May 29 15:51:02 EDT 2007

pauric:

> When selling is your stated end goal, you will invariably fail.

If your biz is not selling, you'll be out of biz.

I hope you're not confusing your strategic purpose with the mode in which it
may be manifested tactically at any given touch point. Say, just because an
author gives a 'free' seminar surely doesn't mean he's not directly engaged
in the art of 'selling' his books/writing career in the aggregate. Just
because iTunes does carry overt ads doesn't mean iTunes isn't selling the
iTunes/iPod/ iTS troika. Should the author or Apple then provide sub-par UX
just because at that touch point they don't appear to be 'selling'?

> End users, consumers etc do not have end goals of handing over cash,
> attention, time.

Which is precisely why a competent 'seller' knows not to take any of his
constituents for granted at any time by providing less than his best effort
along the entire front of contact. You have no idea when and how users will
render a judgment (i.e. decide to 'buy' your service/goods).

To put it more scientifically: in design, you snooze, you lose.

----
Ziya

In design, interaction is the last resort.