[Sigia-l] Everything is Miscellaneous

Brenda Janish bjanish at mac.com
Thu May 3 11:12:55 EDT 2007

Ugh. This Jets vs. Sharks discussion is very tiresome and
unproductive.

Why does job title matter so much?  Obviously, my opinion is that
it doesn't matter, much.  Job titles serve a practical purpose.
They're a scent marker for job opportunities, potential hirees'
skillsets, professional affiliations, and that's about it. It's
not something to wrap a personal identity around, it's not
all-encompassing of a person's role or skills.  I would never
apply for a job based on job title alone (which is why job
descriptions exist), nor would I hire someone based solely on a
self-identifier of "Information Architect" or "Interaction
Designer."  I would hire them based on their unique skillset and
experience.  So... why does it matter?

There will never be a 2-word title for what we do that encompasses
all the variations of the job, which are driven by context and
industry and company culture, so why the insistence on it?  Why
does it matter that everyone with the same job title do exactly
the same work? A rose by any other name...

David, you're the most vocal on this... why does job title matter
so much to you?  I'm being sincere in that question.  Why so much
angst over the literal accuracy of a job title, particularly other
people's job titles?