[Sigia-l] Edge design

Andrew Boyd facibus at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 17:41:29 EDT 2007

On 3/15/07, Ziya Oz <listera at earthlink.net> wrote:
> One of the (relatively) current memes in this area is *emergent*
> design/architecture/systems/etc where, presumably, the structure takes shape
> as a result of observation/experimentation/interaction as opposed to
> pre-designed hierarchy.
>
> A canonical example of this is what happens in the fashion industry:
> something "hip" in an urban setting, say, becomes "kewl," "cool,"
> "storefront," "boutique"...and finally gets its own section at Macy's dept
> store and a special section in New York Times fashion magazine. Later
> perhaps, an entry in OED and a spot in a large-circulation traditional
> shopping catalog.

Hi Ziya,

emergent (self-organising organic) IA is probably as good an example
as any of what I was trying to say :) I've been spending too many
off-hours in the company of tagged blogs and wikis and had this
fevered dream this morning - of a blog page with a hundred odd icons
on it - a voice telling me that the odd icons were content seeds that
people would populate in their own way. It is probably a metaphor for
a side project that I am helping out on at the moment (organising
900-odd business processes into a tagged wiki). Emergence may be the
answer.

Thanks, Andrew