[Sigia-l] Simplicity

Listera listera at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 12 04:25:32 EDT 2007

Will Parker:

> One possibility, of course, is that you're looking at the model
> according to the way it officially described to you and/or documented
> by the owners of the process, and not the way it actually works.

Oh, the process works pretty much the way it's documented alright.

> Are  you sure you trust the information on which you've built your model?

Always a good question, but in this case the model is an inherently complex
way of solving a set of intricately related problems.

> Another possibility, assuming you have done a proper job of
> decomposing the process model into well-formed objects, actions, and
> interactions, is that the business process itself is inherently
> flawed.

Again, the process does what it does and does it reasonably well.

> If your schedule and relationship with the client permits,  perhaps you could
> find a simpler process for your client and suggest  some changes.

Personally speaking for a moment, as I have previously explained this to
some folks here off-line, when confronted with substantial complexity I get,
uhm, sick. I feel woozy and my blood pressure and temp rise. Pretty much
until I solve the problem this persists. (Well, I now have a solid incentive
to solve it beyond just getting paid. :-)

In virtually all such cases I solve the problem by reframing it. (Hence the
sig below.) I can feel the solution to this gigantic Visio flow is not in
simplifying the flow itself, but somehow going around it. I don't know how
yet.

What struck me about Maeda's dictum was that one could simply accept
un-simplicity from the start, and perhaps embrace it?

----
Ziya

Usability >  Simplify the Solution
Design >  Simplify the Problem