[Sigia-l] BumpTop 3D Desktop

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 2 06:29:47 EST 2007

Karl Fast:

> The paper outlines what it is trying to solve.

Debatable. :-)

> * It wants to explore a physics-based desktop interface as an
>   alternative to the standard desktop (exploratory is the key word
>   here).

As I said, as a master's thesis this is a laudable goal. But if they were to
give this to the CEO of a commercial entity the project would likely go into
the trash can: "physics-based desktop interface as an alternative to the
standard desktop" is not a commercial goal. What fundamental market problem
is it solving? What unfulfilled need (that can be monetized) is it
addressing? What would its impact be on various hw/sw product lines? And so
on.

If these guys presented it to, say, Steve Jobs, he would ask: "why?"

I don't think Apple, for example, thought, wow, wouldn't it be cool to
replace the cellphone UI with multi-touch. That wasn't really the goal. The
problem was framed at levels of abstraction far above that to create a
different breed of small device and a new product/market segment, likely
with plans to propagate that through other devices such as digital players,
tablets, media controllers, etc.

----
Ziya

"If I had asked my customers what they wanted,
they would have asked for a faster horse." -- Henry Ford