[Sigia-l] BumpTop 3D Desktop

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 1 21:22:40 EST 2007

David Malouf:

> I think Bumptop 's desktop is more pliable than the MacOS/Windows
> incarnations for similar reasons.

Since I neither agree with the usage of the term "pliability" in this
context nor quite fully understand it, I'll pass.

> Ziya, what do you think of Sugar for the the $100 laptop as another
> gateway to activity system? Not your standard WIMP, no?

I have exactly 10 thoughts on this:

1.  Since I am not a direct contributor to OLPC, I am not allowed to have
opinions about it (see archives here).

2.  It's now the $150 laptop.

3.  Sugar is somewhat addictive and makes you fat.

4.  I don't want to be seen agreeing with Jakob, on anything.

5.  I haven't used it.

6.  Neither has 1/10th of the globe's userbase who's being targeted here.

7.  If Negraponte, Red Hat, MIT and Pentagram think a captive population of
100 million children need a brand new, non-WIMP UI, who am I to disagree.

8.  If a brand new non-WIMP UI is to be introduced, it's better to target a
new userbase who will not make their own choices than to convince the
current WIMP users to actually buy a new item (see OEMing of Windows on new
PCs).

9.  It'll thus be hard to gauge the success of Sugar since its users won't
be purchasing it.

10. I'm not against experimentation, with the only exception of on minors
and people without means.

----
Ziya

"If I had asked my customers what they wanted,
they would have asked for a faster horse." -- Henry Ford