[Sigia-l] Is pricing design?

Will Parker wparker at channelingdesign.com
Wed Jun 27 21:02:47 EDT 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 12:11 AM, Ziya Oz wrote:

> For nearly two miles till they took a different route than mine (hey,
> they were in their twenties and I had to keep up with their pace;
> stuff I do
> for design :-) they kept talking about the just-announced AT&T/iPhone
> pricing.
>
> They ran various scenarios of unit sales, demographic segmentation,
> upgrade
> paths, etc and how each pricing point would have consequences for
> 'user
> experience,' their description and used many times.

<SNIP>

> Marketplace positioning of a product and shaping of
> potential mindshare are very much part of strategic design. And price
> obviously is one of the primary parameters that anticipate user
> acceptance >
> user experience > product definition, etc.
>
> So is pricing part of design? Should it be? Is it better left to
> business?

Costs first.

Pricing arises in part from anticipated development cost, and margin
of profit (in a rational world) should always be set with an eye to
paying for after-sales support. That's at least two reasons for UxD
practitioners to think about the developmental and customer-facing
costs of their designs, including the cost of associated after-sale
services. There are more, but I'm feeling lazy.

So yes, UX should certainly be thinking about how _the costs_ of
their design are going to impact the user, at least in terms of their
company's ability to deliver a quality product. The _price_ charged
the user, however, is a darker matter.

I tend to look at this from the development end. What bundle of
features (including services) is going to present the optimal user
experience for this product. Are there natural segmentation points in
the overall UX of a range of achievable products which suggest good-
better-best configurations?

What are the costs and desirable price points of each configuration?
Do these look like they're publicly-acceptable prices? What's the
expected uptake if we set the price lower by X? Do we make good-
enough margin? If not, identify major costs, redesign and reiterate.

Of course, that's all bull, because designers are (almost) never left
with that much power over pricing in their hands. Marketing will
always hunt for the highest margin, even when that margin comes
directly out of the product quality.

So as a UxD practitioner, I cannot _practically_ expect to get the
power to set the price My Way, but I must be prepared to provide an
alternate analysis of pricing and user experience when I see an
iceberg coming to break up the party. Someday, when I rate an
assistant, I might actually be able to have that sort of data in
hand, too.

- Will

Will Parker
wparker at ChannelingDesign.com

“I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If
that were the case, then Microsoft would have great products.” -
Steve Jobs