[Sigia-l] Is pricing design?

Stew Dean stewdean at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 12:28:37 EDT 2007

On 27/06/07, Ziya Oz <listera at earthlink.net> wrote:

> The last two miles I kept thinking that this is very much what I do as
> well...as a designer. Marketplace positioning of a product and shaping of
> potential mindshare are very much part of strategic design. And price
> obviously is one of the primary parameters that anticipate user acceptance >
> user experience > product definition, etc.
>
> So is pricing part of design? Should it be? Is it better left to business?

If you choose to call yourself a designer you may artificially limit
your scope and may paint yourself in a corner.

In my white board ven diagram I would have pricing as a factor of the
user experience that is linked to the business side of things.  Design
would be a subset of the user experience, both in term of process and
job activity along other things like research, editing, technical
engineering etc. After all a writer doesnt 'design' text yet text is
often part of the user experience.

Personally I've dropped everything after  'User Experience' now.  No
senior, designer, architect, lead, guru, consultant or anything else.
This means I can be part of a pricing discussion from a user
experience point of view. Design is part of the user experience, a
very very important one, but it is part, not the whole.

Stewart Dean
User Experience

--
Stewart Dean