[Sigia-l] What happened to the good IAs

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 22 14:43:20 EDT 2007

Victor Lombardi:

>> There's absolutely no excuse for letting people lead and manage Design teams
>> who can't tell the difference between a junior and senior personnel.

> so they can learn what they need to know, without having to earn another
> degree or become an expert in another field.

Sorry, I don't buy that.

That's like taking an actor who plays a doctor on TV to a hospital visit so
he can perform an actual surgery later. I'd much rather promote the notion
that Designers ought to lead and manage Design teams, instead of others
without Design sense and sensibility who happened to have read a book or
attended a seminar.

So I'd much rather see the population of designers go up dramatically and
move into management first of design teams and gradually into more strategic
aspects of organizational management.

Putting up barriers to entry into the field by promoting conformance and
bureaucracy while extracting profit in the process through certification is
precisely why I'm against it. We need to increase designer population, not
restrict it artificially. We need to emphasize why strategic design thinking
and problem solving is so valuable to business, not put a band-aid on the
innovation problem by furthering the illusion that with a little weekend
effort by non-designers this problem can be papered over.

----
Ziya

The constraint is the design.