[Sigia-l] What happened to the good IAs

Christopher Fahey chris.fahey at behaviordesign.com
Fri Jun 22 12:45:35 EDT 2007

Victor wrote:
> Certification isn't the only answer (and perhaps a problem
> with this discussion is that we jumped to a solution without
> identifying what problem we're trying to solve).

Bingo. There has been near silence in this thread to the "Why?"
question, except for Victor's assertion that there are managers in this
world who hire IAs but who know nothing whatsoever about IA, and that
maybe we need to help those people. Ziya obviously thinks such a
situation is an unforgiveable atrocity. I also think that it's pretty
sad, but as Victor notes, it apparently exists.

What do we do about these organizations with dysfunctional org charts?
Do we want IAs to get jobs working for managers who don't understand
what they do? Would certification merely enable and empower
fundamentally bad management systems to continue to misunderstand the
importance of design and user experience to their businesses?

Maybe a better solution, one which Victor is actively engaging, is to
train managers to understand IA (or design in general). I would far
rather see our efforts as a professional community focus on making
managers better rather than making practicioners work harder just to
enable incompetant managers.

-Cf

Christopher Fahey