[Sigia-l] What happened to the good IAs

Christopher Fahey chris.fahey at behaviordesign.com
Thu Jun 21 11:05:43 EDT 2007

All this talk of certification, and nobody has really answered "Why?" in
a meaningful way.

Can anyone give an example of a real-world occasion where having a
certification system would have helped?

For example:
* You hired someone who turned out to be a disaster. You are sure that a
certification system would have denied them a stamp of approval and then
you could have detected their poor skills before hiring them.

* You need to hire a new IA but you only have ten minutes to decide who
to hire before a nerve gas bomb explodes, killing thousands of people.
You decide against torturing all six candidates, and instead you simply
select the certified person.

* You got beat out for a job by some jerk who you are sure would never
have passed a certification test that you would have aced.

* Your boss/manager/client thinks all of your ideas stink, but if you
could show them your certification they would surely respect your ideas
more.

I'm being a little facetious here, but honestly I can't think of any
practical reason why certification would do anybody any good at all. The
whole concept just seems so ridiculous to me.

-Cf

Christopher Fahey