[Sigia-l] What happened to the good IAs

Juan Ruiz juan.ruiz at ceo.syd.catholic.edu.au
Wed Jun 20 19:55:46 EDT 2007

We also have to educate businesses on IA/UX and other related fields.
Many companies never had an IA on their team, so when they decide to
hire one, they look for a 'Senior IA' (You don't want to have a junior
starting on a brand new position). The problem is that these new
companies don't have a real benchmark of the responsibilities and
knowledge between a junior and a senior IA. So, a candidate who knows
wireframes, basic UX concepts could easily get the job described for a
Senior IA. From then on, he will be always looking for Senior positions.

Large organizations, that have experience on the IA field, can benchmark
the differences between juniors and seniors, but, how can we then, tell
a brand new 'senior' IA, that the work they were doing at a previous
company was at the 'junior' level when their job title said 'Senior'?

-Juan

On 6/20/07, Giovanni Fortezza <giovanni at fortezza.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been on the list for a while and follow conversations as much
as I
> can and was wondering whether anyone else is currently having these
> problems.
>
> In the New York market there is a shortage of Junior IAs and IAs but
there
> are plenty of Senior IAs. Which would suggest that there are no IAs
entering
> the workforce, however that doesn't seem to be the case. The majority
of the
> senior IAs I am interviewing are at best Junior and the rest are
certainly
> not senior.
>
> That raises the issue that have seen on this list in the past, should
there
> be some kind of certification or a certain number of years/projects or
both
> that an IA should have under their belt in order to move up a level?
>
> I understand the issues around it i.e. who gets to decide what the
criteria
> is, who will enforce it and so on. But I feel that as professionals
whose
> primary objective is the development of a great experience we need to
do
> this. I have some more ideas as to how to pull this off but I was
curious as
> to what the rest of the community feels.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Giovanni Fortezza

IA Summit 2008: "Experiencing Information"
April 10-14, 2008, Miami, Florida

-----
*Plain text, please; NO Attachments

This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressed recipient(s) only and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you have received this message in error, please delete the message and any attachments and copies immediately; and notify the sender by return e-mail.

Any views expressed in this message or any attachments are those of the individual sender and do not necessarily represent the corporate opinion of the Catholic Education Office (CEO), Sydney.

The CEO Privacy Policy is located at http://www.ceo.syd.catholic.edu.au