[Sigia-l] Boston; June 26th; UX Boston Social Hour & Presentation On Designing For Online Communities

Bob Goodman bob at bobgoodman.net
Tue Jun 26 17:07:02 EDT 2007

Please join us for our official Boston kick-off meeting of User Experience
Boston from 7-9  p.m. on Tuesday, June 26th at One To One Interactive
at their Charlestown  headquarters. It will include great conversation,
drinks and refreshments, and a special presentation by UX consultant
 and author Lynn Cherny on designing for online communities.
Further details are below; please rsvp by Friday, June 22 if you would
like to attend.

And please  help spread the word to other  Boston area UX professionals,
including information architects, designers, and usability consultants, who
may be interested in attending.

UX Boston Meeting | 7-9 p.m. Tuesday, June 26th

RVSP by Friday, June 22nd required; please send an e-mail to
me (off-list, please!)  with your name and your company information.

WHAT?

UX Boston Kick-Off Meeting AND presentation:
"Design for Online Communities: Past the Hype!"
by Lynn Cherny, PH.D. (User Experience Consultant & Author)

WHEN?

7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, June 26th
---7 p.m.- 8 p.m.: Social Hour
---8 p.m. to 9 p.m.: Presentation and discussion.

WHERE?

One to One Interactive
Schraft Center | Suite 209 (2nd Floor)
529 Main Street
Charlestown, MA 02129
There is a free public parking lot at the Schraft Center.

DIRECTIONS?

http://www.otoi.com/contact/directions.html
<http://www.otoi.com/contact/directions.html>

MORE ABOUT THE PRESENTATION:

 >From Lynn Cherny: Successful online community creation requires an
understanding of both social and technical design challenges, as
well as skills you may not realize you need in your organization.
Face-to-face study of community predates the Internet by at least
two centuries, and has been done within sociology, anthropology, and
linguistics. I will review some academic background on what makes
a "community," whether online or offline, and then show how these
notions apply online in the form of useful design principles. I'll
wrap up with some metrics for evaluation based on your choice of
definitions, taking you beyond simple page views and number of
members.

Bio: Lynn Cherny's books Conversation and Community (1999) and
Wired_Women (1996) were classic web 1.0 studies of online community
that were used in many graduate classes. Since her research days,
she has been a designer and manager at Excite.com, TiVo, Adobe,
Mathworks, and Autodesk.

MORE ABOUT UX BOSTON:

UX Boston is a new local branch of the User  Experience Network,
(Uxnet.org.)
Our goal is to foster cross- disciplinary conversations and create
connections
across UX-related  disciplines. For  more information, please visit: