[Sigia-l] IAs vs BAs

Stew Dean stewdean at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 05:32:27 EDT 2007

On 19/06/07, Juan Ruiz <juan.ruiz at ceo.syd.catholic.edu.au> wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> Probably this was discussed on previous posts... Information Architects
> vs Business Analysts
>

> I am finding it difficult to differentiate and specially, to separate
> the activities between an IA and a WEB BA (or Online BA).

I've never worked with a WEB BA but have wored with BAs who are
working on online.  I not so long ago applied to work for a UK based
travel company and prior to the interview they gave me a use case,
part of the standard UML process.

In my experience UML use cases tend to take various forms based upon
who created them, but, in the absense of IAs, many use cases have had
things like 'the user then presses a button' or 'A new screen appears'
- that is they directly refer to the user eperience.

This is where BAs and IAs do lock horns.  In the interview I said was
honest and said I would require the use cases to be rewritten to work
with them. I didnt get the job :)

> Where do we draw the line? I find that because BAs look more into the
> business side of things and their work is more aligned to Project
> Management methodologies, their opinions weight more than from an IA.

IAs produce clearer solutions so I find we win that war, we allow
people to point to a map and understand what they are dealing with. A
traditional BA can be useful and effectively can become the business
expert for the team.

> As IAs, do you find yourself doing BAs work?

Very much so. To define requirements I have run business priority
workshops.  I don't claim to have all the formalised tools of a BA and
would not describe myself as one but I have definitely done tasks that
are traditionally associated with a BA.

> I need some help clarifying the differences between both roles.

Good luck. Remember IAs are new on the scene and BAs have been aroudn
much longer - the two jobs do overlap and if the BA is not willing to
give ground you will end up with a potential turf war.

Cheers

Stewart Dean