[Sigia-l] Just for you women out there

Paola Kathuria paola at limov.com
Fri Jun 8 14:37:06 EDT 2007

Leisa Reichelt wrote:
> According to the Guardian pink = weakness.

And then the Financial Times is printed on pink paper.

Emily Leahy-Thieler wrote:
> I don't know why, but there is a subconscious effect
> that pink has on my brain.

I get that with lime green and turquoise. I think that
happy-making colours are a function of brain wiring.

> But, in all seriousness, do the color pink and cute things
> in general have to mean weakness?

Yes, because they're associated with 'female', which is
stereotypically seen as weak(er).

> Are the standard colors for laptops (black, gray, and white)
> just a reminder that the technology world has been dominated
> by men?

No, I think it's about neutrality (not having a colour
that anyone can object to).

pauric wrote:
> Stereotypes are perpetuated by the ignorant and those who react to them.

But stereotypes will never go away as they are a by-product of
how we manage the vast amount of sensory information. They are
part of the same learning mechanism that lets us recognise a
specific thing we've seen for the first time as 'dog', 'car'
or 'chair' because we've seen something similar before.

If we weren't able to learn concepts, we'd have to learn from
scratch with every new thing (or person) we encounter (the
next paving slab, the next tree, the next slice of bread).

Paola
--
http://www.paolability.com/