[Sigia-l] Just for you women out there

Paola Kathuria paola at limov.com
Fri Jun 8 05:43:28 EDT 2007

Ziya Oz wrote:
> <http://tinyurl.com/2tu3jv>
>
> "... we're hoping to attract women with this product."
>
> Who can defend this?

Well, people have been pinkifying mobiles (cell phones),
watches and cars; it's not a big leap to pinkify laptops.

It reminds me of a talk I went to in 1995 by Eva Pascoe
(co-founder of the UK's first Internet Cafe). I wrote
afterwards:

  Eva Pascoe, the psychologist, [...] said that "computers are
  ugly" and that they need to be integrated into the environment
  for "fun" (that context defines how they are used). She spent
  a few minutes on this subject and I was waiting for her to
  suggest that we paint computers pink to make them more
  accessible to women.

  From http://www.paolability.com/writing/uk-media-cyberfeminism.lml

[off-topic]
If you're gonna get angry at anything, get angry at the 'toys'
they make for little girls that are designed to teach them what
is expected of them in society: toy kitchens, prams, babies,
dress-up dolls and make-up - and little boys: swords & guns.

Grrr.

Paola
--
http://www.paolability.com/