[Sigia-l] It's started

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 5 21:16:48 EDT 2007

Christopher Fahey:

> I still think that all mobile phone interfaces I've ever seen suck, presumably
> including every one that Chipchase has designed, too.

And will continue to suck till eternity. Companies like Nokia, Motorola,
etc., still think "phone-as-gadget." Something that they manufacture, which
carriers then sell and service. It's a business model they have decided to
pursue and haven't done much to change. There's not much space for
satisfactory design in that paradigm. Not now. Not ever. Mr. Chipchase or
not. I constantly read about some ethnographer or anthropologist chasing
after the natives to extract lifestyle nuggets. It's good copy but at the
end of the day, you look at the shipping 'design' and scratch your head.

I may be a little hard on the mobile industry but, c'mon, how many
industries have spent so many billions over so many years to produce so
little lust.

(BTW, Jonathan thinks Apple's a region. It's not. It's a cult. :-)

----
Ziya

In design, interaction is the last resort.