[Sigia-l] It's started

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 4 17:40:17 EDT 2007

Nancy Broden:

> However, fixing what needs to be fixed in the world of mobile UI is a daunting
> task because of the complex relationships among the players along that value
> chain.

Isn't that why the iPhone is such a breakthrough?

> Apple's weakness in this endeavor will be in its lack of control over the
> iPhone's service,

Interesting. You have assumed a 'weakness' before the fact. Why's that?

> but perhaps they have some leverage with AT&T on that front that I have not
> heard about.

They have a 5-year marriage, where the *carrier* shares service revenue with
the phone manufacturer. How's that for rearranging the "mobile value chain"?
:-)

> Will Apple/AT&T shift the paradigm? Will the world be different after June 29?
> Maybe, maybe not.

I think the iPhone has already permanently changed the mobile landscape,
before selling its first unit. You really think, after seeing these
commercials for months and all the rest of the marketing, people will still
look at their cellphones the same way ever again? Just the way every single
mp3 player after the iPod had to be compared to it? The UX age in mobiles
starts June 29.

> I have hopes that the iPhone's (presumed) success will goose the entire mobile
> industry into producing more useful, usable and enjoyable products and
> services.

This is highly doubtful and why I gave the examples of the iMac and iPod not
being properly 'copied' by the rest of the industry. Also the reason, as
Jobs explained at D5, why the Japanese electronics manufacturers just
couldn't cope with the iPod: they can't do software (and hw/sw integration).
Many current cellphone manufacturers will find this beyond their ability to
adapt to, I'm afraid.

----
Ziya

In design, interaction is the last resort.