[Sigia-l] It's started

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 4 02:23:44 EDT 2007

In over 20 years I can't remember Apple ever showing how (comparatively)
easy it is to *use* their software. Despite never-ending requests from Mac
loyalists, their commercials are always hardware-centric with some allusions
to ease-of-use but never a systematic display of their OS or app interfaces.
(Jeff Goldblum claiming there's no Step 3 for connecting the iMac to the
internets notwithstanding.) I can surmise some of the reasons for this, but
for company whose CEO claims is a fundamentally software enterprise this has
been a bit inexplicable.

Until now. The three new iPhone commercials that started airing last night:

<http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/>

are utterly unambiguous interface showcases. One assumes there'll be many
more of these, directly selling the iPhone on the superiority of its UI.

I'm not a cellphone user at all, but I can't remember any cell commercial in
the U.S. that leverages its UI. Can anyone? Why do you think Apple took a
different path with the iPhone, with an uncharacteristic emphasis on
interface?

----
Ziya

In design, interaction is the last resort.