[Sigia-l] How the design process fits into the agile methodology

Victor Lombardi victor at victorlombardi.com
Mon Feb 19 13:37:22 EST 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 12:00 PM, Ziya wrote:

> Victor Lombardi:
>
>> Agile is an approach to software development, while our focus is
>> the larger
>> development of the product.
>
> I'm not sure agility proponents see it that way. It seems to me
> that agility
> is a play to move developers from a plane of (mere) implementation
> higher up
> onto the plane of ideation/creation/management, from a tactical to a
> strategic role, subsuming several contending claims including design,
> usability, QA, product/project management, etc.

I've seen both. The majority of people talk about concepts like
"design" and "customers" but this is where the confusion starts,
because the agilists may be referring to software design and not
product design, or the business client and not the end user.

The rare exception are folks like Alistair Cockburn and Jim Highsmith
that do a great job of explaining how agile software practices meet
product development and even business innovation. I highly recommend
this article:
http://alistair.cockburn.us/index.php/
Agile_software_development:_the_business_of_innovation

Victor