[Sigia-l] JOB: Interaction design role at Skype, London/Tallinn/Prague

Celia Romaniuk celiaromaniuk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 06:29:08 EST 2007

Job Title - Product Designer - Hardware Store
Location - London/Tallinn/Prague

Skype Overview

Skype is a little piece of software that lets you make free calls to
your friends all over the world. We want to be a universal, secure and
easy to use tool for communication and conversation for all people and
any purpose.

In just three years more than 136 million people are enjoying free
Skype calls and a large number of paying customers use SkypeOut and
SkypeIn in more than 200 countries. Skype are part of the eBay family
with offices in Luxembourg, London and Tallinn and we are continually
expanding.

We are looking for brilliant minds to join the Skype revolution,
particularly those who have the passion and the drive required to
continue delighting our users and giving them a great experience.

Purpose / Responsibilities

You will be designing the way in which people buy hardware products
from Skype online.

This involves imagining new features and improving existing
functionality. You will create conceptual designs to illustrate new
ideas and design detailed mock-ups and user flows as part of the final
design specification. If you are inventive, creative, enjoy imagining
experiences, and have a good sensibility towards users, you will enjoy
the role.  In fact, you probably will have fun doing this.

You will be expected to understand the products we make, the way
people think and enjoy conversations, and to design features that will
delight users and enrich their experience.

Requirements / Experience

We are looking for people who are creative and passionate, but also
detail oriented and able to complete a specification on time. You will
at times be expected to create a vision of a new product based on
loose ideas, and at times you will need to take a very detail-oriented
approach to fix flaws in existing flows.

You likely studied one of the following: HCI, interaction design,
cognitive science, visual arts, or product design. You likely have
worked in an internet or mobile company, did a master's in one of the
above disciplines, designed consumer products, obtained a PhD, or
shown your work in an art gallery/museum. In general, your background
should have a strong creative/bent, and it should show you have a deep
understanding of people's emotions/thinking processes.

Qualifications

Required
 *  Graduated with relevant degree in Product Design: HCI, UI design,
interaction design, cognitive science, computer science, visual arts,
or product design.
 *  Industry experience: 2 or more years designing for ecommerce.
 * Knowledgeable in discipline: Competent in user-centred design
methods, such as UI widgets, affordances, mental models, user testing,
visual layout, etc.

Desirable
 * Experience with localisation/internationalisation
 * Experience conducting user studies and usability testing
 * Experience designing user interfaces for mobile or embedded
hardware products.

Personal attributes

Focused: Entrepreneurial, creative, ability to execute, detail-oriented.
Resourceful: Ability to multi-task well, flexible, manages their time
intelligently.
Collaborative: Works well with others, team-player.

Other

Permanent staff of product design
Located in London / Tallinn / Prague
Might have to travel, but infrequently

Contact

If you are interested in this role, please send your CV to Nicola Woods
(nicola.woods at skype.net).