[Sigia-l] SIG-IA group on Facebook - do or die?

Patrick Grizzard gamutant at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 23 17:19:24 EDT 2007

I posted this yesterday under another subject heading. Although the
intent is to begin by aggregating contacts, it seems reasonable that
it could expand to enable portability of ratings, reviews, and other
preference data.

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/08/opening_up_the.html
http://bradfitz.com/social-graph-problem/

  From the O'Reilly post:

"Their project attempts to solve the problem of multiple overlapping
social networks. This overlap makes it harder to establish new sites,
as people tire of rebuilding networks on each social networking site.
As a non-profit and opensource project, it aims to be vendor-neutral
and usable by all vendors."

  From the project site:

"[Goal:] Establish a non-profit and open source software (with
copyrights held by the non-profit) which collects, merges, and
redistributes the graphs from all other social network sites into one
global aggregated graph. This is then made available to other sites
(or users) via both public APIs (for small/casual users) and
downloadable data dumps, with an update stream / APIs, to get
iterative updates to the graph (for larger users)."