[Sigia-l] A rather large effort

Stew Dean stewdean at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 14:53:06 EDT 2007

On 17/04/07, Jonathan Baker-Bates <Jonathan.Baker-Bates at lbi.com> wrote:
> [...]

I whole heartedly believe it. I've been very lucky with the clients
I've worked with - and the few times there have been political issues
I've had enough of a buffer for me just to get on with box drawing.

My take on this is there's usualy two types of work I have to do, one
is the actual architeture of the site (even the largest websites can,
in theory, be done in three months if all you are doing is getting the
site working, including user research) and the other part of it is
stake holder communication and ensuring buy in. There's also the
arbitary changes from the client despite your best intentions and
research findings.

 I have to thank Steve Krug at this point of helping reduce the amount
of arbitary changes in the past as his book 'don't make me think' is
great for reasuring clients and getting them to be user advocates - I
used to bulk order them from Amazon.

Meanwhile I empathise with those that did the BT site, I'm sure there
where many good ideas that crashed and burnt due to the complexity of
explaining it to the client and convincing them when their 'common
sense' was telling them otherwise.

Cheers

--
Stewart Dean