[Sigia-l] PhD, correlation between IA and Technical Communication and Design

Rob Hudson caveatrob at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 14:45:17 EDT 2006

Hi,

I've been working in IT as a developer for about 12 years and have
recently begun the transition to Technical Communication and Document
Design (academically).I'll be applying for and starting a PhD in some
variant of Tech Comm/Rhetoric.

However, after hearing about the field of IA, I'm interested in any
crossover, or if there are specific PhD programs that are famous for
Information Architecture.

My ultimate goal is to teach at a college level, so I'm looking for a
PhD that will make me the most employable.

Anyone have experience? I want to steer away from degrees in fields
like Instructional Technology, as I hear, at least anecdotally, that
the employability of degreed candidates is low in both the
professional and academic world.

Hopefully someone can clarify.

Thanks,

Rob