[Sigia-l] Rant about bad IA practice.

Christina Wodtke cwodtke at eleganthack.com
Tue Oct 31 01:14:09 EST 2006

I suppose no one on the list really wants to know where that came from,
but my sense of self-importance makes me eager to confess. After I sent
that mail, I immediately stopped viewing the list, and deleted without
reading, so I would cool off.

Stewart Dean wrote:
> Christina's responce wasnt a personal attack but the troll thing, well without being overly defensive I've been part of this group for a while and I was essentialy saying 'A sucks - if I'm wrong tell me why'.

It wasn't a personal attack (I hoped that the Monty Python quote would
help moderate it) but rather an extended burst of anger at the body of
assumptions we carry, both around best practices and around what we
think are wrong with them. I have been questioning best practices since
the first bubble (when they certainly were too new to be best) to
earlier today. Stewart's email, redolent of Jakob's rhetoric, reminded
me of so many other pronouncements -- many made by me in the past. No
one hates cigarette smoking like an ex-smoker, and no one hates
publicity-generating generalizations like one who has been proved stupid
in the past.

Lately I have been driven mad by ignorance; my own, my profession's, our
sister profession's. Sitting on this list, IxD, IAI, reading Adam's mad
rant on IA, I see complacency and howling. What if instead we take the
time to learn instead. I'm reading up on Dunbar numbers and Bayesian
weighting. What are you doing with your time?

Okay, off to unsubscribe or at least filter, and read and work again.