[Sigia-l] Do Make Me Think!

cheryl kimble cheryl at marginalized.com
Sun Oct 15 18:31:28 EDT 2006

i don't think the discussion is about what designers should or
shouldn't do, as all that you mention (providing context, etc...)
makes the case for the original point (that designers need to do the
work for the user).

i think it's important not to start putting the onus on the user.
they have too much of the burden already, considering how much we
still struggle to make the case that usability is important and isn't
just about testing what we're designing but rather about finding out,
uncovering what the user really needs.

refer back to ziya's ipod example, which makes the case for user
research. it's obvious that apple did their homework to develop a
product that not only met technical needs, ie playing mp3's, but also
met emotional and cultural needs.

ck