[Sigia-l] Do Make Me Think!

Dave Chiu dave at d4v3.net
Sun Oct 15 17:37:09 EDT 2006

> doesn't that place the "blame" on someone else if  it doesn't work?

I don't think it does. As Tufte's been saying for a long time,
designers have a responsibility to present information faithfully,
accurately, and truthfully. (I'm paraphrasing)

Ultimately, your decision to buy or not to buy a particular airfare
is your decision, not mine as a designer of the web site. However, my
design does affect how you come about making that decision. And I
think that one of the major ways design can influence decision-making
is by providing context. (Think of Tufte's sparklines.)

Context implies added levels of complexity, either in the amount of
information a designer must process when creating a design that
compresses that information, or in the amount of information that an
end user must manage. And I think we all have a natural tendency to
shy away from complexity, a la the "don't make me think" theme: that
is, it can just as easily be applied to designers as to consumers.

To wit, the following quote from Donald Norman (which I happened to
run across quite by accident on Tufte's site):

Technology is not neutral. Technology has properties--affordances--
that make it easier to do some activities, harder to do others: The
easier ones get done, the harder ones neglected. Each has its
constraints, preconditions, and side effects that impose requirements
and changes on the things with which it interacts, be they other
technology, people, or human society at large. Finally, each
technology poses a mind-set, a way of thinking about it and the
activities to which it is relevant, a mind-set that soon pervades
those touched by it, often unwittingly, often unwillingly. The more
successful and widespread the technology, the greater its impact upon
the thought patterns of those who use it, and consequently, the
greater its impact upon all of society. Technology is not neutral, it
dominates.

Norman, Donald A., Things that Make Us Smart, Perseus Books, 1993, p.
243

I think the more pertinent question that arises out of all of this
is: does everyone have to become an expert at everything, or can
context provide enough information to make individuals temporary
experts and able to make the best decision possible at a given moment
in time? More specifically, are we talking about know-how that's
permanent, or something akin to "on-demand" know-how? (Of course, "on-
demand" know-how, if used often enough, will have some teaching
effects.)

Taken to an extreme, I'm really not interested in becoming a
carpenter to assemble IKEA furniture, a broker to trade shares, or a
travel agent to book a flight. But I do want to know enough to make
the best decision I can in a given situation at a given time, and the
service or product which best enables me to do so will get my
business. Consider the newspaper which provides only a stock's most
recent price quote versus an online trading service which provides
news, the trading ranges for the last 50 days, trend analysis, etc.

Clearly, it's easy to simply list the current stock price, difficult
to provide context and its attendant complexity.

I think Will makes a good point about accountability, which I think
is related to responsibility.

Dave