[Sigia-l] Case in URLs

Timothy Boyd dyobmit at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 14:09:23 EDT 2006

Hello.

Does anyone know of any research done on the case of URLs,
specifically in domain names (the second-level domain)?

I have a client with a domain name that is not identical to the name
of their product, because the name of their product is a commonly used
five letter word they can't get. So, they've added another word in,
like say:

www.dothis.com

Where "this" is the name of their product, and "do" is what they
added. This is all fine and well.

Client likes to have all their print materials use:

www.DoThis.com

What I need is some research along the lines of, "People who see
www.DoThis.com remember the URL more often than when they see
www.dothis.com."

I don't care which way is better, I'm just interested in knowing if
anyone has actually studied this specific scenario. And I suppose it
doesn't necessarily have to be URL related, though off the top of my
head I can't think of other instances where words that people need to
remember are crammed together.

I did the googling, I'm aware of case sensitivity in certain
environments, I'm clear on human-readable, hackable, guessable URLs.
What I want to know is which is MORE human-readable.

Thanks!

-tim.

--
Tim Boyd