[Sigia-l] Design and Religion

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 4 01:40:24 EDT 2006

Dan Maccarone:

> ...but my question is given that a good UE professional
> understands the target and tries to champion that person...

Yes, but that's not the angle I'm interested in, in this instance. I'm
strictly interested in the person of the designer being, shall we say,
"guided" by something other than (or alongside) the "professional" aspects
of the design process.

>  Could you elaborate a bit more on the qualifications you're looking for?

For instance, before I start a large project, after I gather requirements
from all stakeholders, my designer mind naturally gravitates towards
change/reformation to make things "better." While that may seem "natural" I
don't think that's mandatory. A lot of designers would play the margins and
not necessarily gravitate towards fundamental change. The results is not
always fundamental change, but my mind, at least, considers that as a
priority. This, for instance, may not be religion but it's a bias, a
guidance that informs and impacts my design process.

> And just for fun...I'd love to hear the thought behind it...just curious.

At a recent dinner, someone in the publishing business asked me if I'd want
to write a book that's partially based on this notion. Just thinkin' aloud.

----
Ziya

Usability >  Simplify the Solution
Design >  Simplify the Problem