[Sigia-l] Usability of scrolling news headlines?

Jared M. Spool jspool at uie.com
Wed Nov 22 15:53:15 EST 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 1:52 AM, Hanan Cohen wrote:

> I am looking for hard (measured, tested) information on the user
> experience of rolling headlines that many websites have.

All the evidence suggests users come to a web site with a mission. If
the content in the "rolling headlines" does not relate to their
mission, it's virtually impossible to get them to see it. Short of
having a screen that presents the information and prevents them from
starting their mission until they acknowledge it, you probably won't
get users to interact with the content that doesn't support their
mission.

If you have pressing news and users aren't specifically going to come
to the site to see that news, you're probably better off using a
"push" technology, such as email to make them aware of it.

Hope that helps,

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: jspool at uie.com p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks